WELCOME To...TampaMLBScouting.Blogspot.com! (For Players, Parents & Coaches)

Contributor, Jeff Edwards, Colorado Rockies MLB "Scouting Supervisor"!



Tuesday, February 16, 2010

WHAT "MLB" SCOUTS REALLY LOOK FOR!

TO: Jeff Edwards (Colorado Rockies Scout )

Jeff Edwards, a "Colorado Rockies" MLB Scout has been kind enough to offer his many years of professional expertise on what MLB Scouts really look for in Hitters & Players. I created this Blog (ongoing clinic - Jeff's idea) with Jeff as an opportunity for young players and families that may have questions on Mechanics, Fundamentals etc...so they may ask Jeff their questions. Thank you Jeff! You will see that Jeff always backs up mechanics talk with video posts in the Blog (seeing is believing). In my opinion, I believe there are way to many conflicting Mechanics & Fundamentals being taught out there especially in the Tampa Bay market. So consider this forum "You're Horses Mouth" when it comes to what "MLB" Scouts are really looking for both Mechanically & Fundamentally! I hope everybody out there takes advantage of this Blog & Jeff's expertise with your questions! I will get it STARTED below with Jeff!!!!!

Jeff, when I read your article about what MLB Scouts look for in hitting, I found it very refreshing & confirming! So did my son Jordan. Let me explain; as you know, Jordan has been trained by Mike & Jake Epstein on rotational hitting and I am amazed still as to how many ex-players, coaches, hitting coaches etc...teach a chop down to the ball from the load as being short to the ball and the proper swing plane. It seems that so many guys confuse hand path with actual swing plane up the line. It was refreshing to hear that you look for rhythm in a swing with lift versus chopping with an ax down to the ball.

Also, just curious, do you scout all positions on the field?

All The Best,

Chuck Ramus
Tampa, FLorida

1 comment: